Sunday, March 20, 2011

March Birds






Yesterday I was driving west on Highway E when I noticed a tom turkey in the field. I drove a little ways and then turned back to see if he was still there - he was. This year I have seen all kinds of hens but this is one of the first tom's I saw. I was able to take a few pictures of him before he darted out into the road. You can see by the picture that he almost did not make it. Fortunately the truck stopped just short of hitting him. Seeing it is almost spring, I also assume that it is mating season. maybe that is why he is so confused.
Later that night I saw some geese in the same field. They were not so easy to take pictures of. I had to walk into the field, wade through snow and mud to get near enough to shoot. This must be mating season for them as well. No matter how much noise I made or how close I got they just walked around honking at each other ignoring me. The honking worked because it wasn't long before a few other geese flew in to join the party.
Whether it is geese or turkeys, God instills a timing system (and mating urges) that is totally amazing.
A side note: The other day we had a grave side service for a dear lady in the Twin Cities. I read from 1 Thessalonians 4 where it talks about Jesus coming back and that when He does the Trumpet of the Lord will sound. In the background were a few geese that just "happened to" blow their trumpets as I was talking. It wasn't the Trumpet of the Lord, but it was amazing timing and a good relief in a time of sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment