Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Happy Dance of Spring






This time of year it is always fascinating watching how the animals react to spring. Today I saw a turkey spreading its feathers in full plume trying to attract it's mate. If it wasn't for the sun shining in the background, I would have gotten a picture of it. Yesterday I spent part of the day at Crex Meadows. I was able to take a few pictures of ducks and geese, but didn't see any Sand Hill Cranes until I was near the end of the tour. There in the distance I saw 50 to 60 cranes entertaining one another. They were doing what I call, "The Happy Dance" for quite awhile and putting on quite the show. So, is it the male or the female that does the "Happy Dance"? Of course the show was not for me, but it was their way of strutting their stuff in order to attract a mate. As humans we think this is quite humorous, but the truth is we are just as much a show off for the opposite sex. God gave these cranes and turkeys a unique method of communicating with one another.
   As a point of interest, notice how the swan's neck and reflection form a heart, if you look at it sideways.

No comments:

Post a Comment